The Fairwork India team based at the International Institute of Information Technology Bangalore (IIITB), which examines labour standards in the platform economy, is looking for a Research Assistant.
This is a full-time position starting on July 1st (or date of hire) until December 31st, with likely extension.
About the Research Assistant:
The ideal candidate(s) will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in law. Students set to graduate in 2021 can apply. Candidates who have studied or practiced labour law will be prioritized.
- Bonus if familiar with national and international laws for gig, platform workers.
- Native or bilingual proficiency in English and Kannada. Familiarity with Hindi will be a bonus.
- Excellent writing skills and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Identifying and consolidating all state labour law, and central labour codes applicable to the goals of the Fairwork project: pay, working conditions, contracts, grievance redressal, anti- discrimination, equal opportunity, unionization etc.
- Identifying minimum wage standards, understanding living wage, legislation/regulation and guidelines for gig, platform workers in India and internationally.
- Examining terms and conditions between platform companies and their workforce.
- Interviewing platform workers, and engaging in discussions with platforms and other actors in the platform economy.
- Participate in the writing of the Fairwork report and other standalone articles to provide critical commentary on labour law and its intersection with gig, platform work.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV, cover letter and 1-2 writing samples. In your cover letter do mention your expected salary.
The Fairwork project endorses the call from the Oxford Internet Institute community to advance anti-racist initiatives in higher education. We commit to upholding the values it espouses in our recruitment processes, to the best of our capacities.