PLATFORM WORKERS DESERVE FAIR WORK!
From road accidents to app deactivations, platform workers face many challenges in their day to day. They also often lack effective support channels and opportunities for collective bargaining.
Fairwork has worked with four designers from Colombia, Ghana, India, South Africa, and the UK to create a series of visuals about the Fairwork Principles.
The Fairwork principles represent the basic labour standards that all platforms should provide to their workers, regardless of their employment status.
The visuals represent 4 of our 5 principles of fair platform work:
- Fair Pay: Workers, irrespective of their employment classification, should earn a decent income. They should be paid on time, and for all work completed.
- Fair Conditions: Workers should be protected from risks arising from the processes of work. Platforms should take proactive measures to protect and promote the health and safety of workers.
- Fair Contracts: Terms and conditions should be transparent, concise, and always accessible to workers. Contracts should be consistent with the terms of workers’ engagement on the platform.
- Fair Management: There should be a documented due process for decisions affecting workers. Management processes should be transparent and result in equitable outcomes for workers.
- Fair Representation: Platforms should provide a documented process through which worker voice can be expressed. Workers have the right to organise in collective bodies, and platforms should be prepared to cooperate and negotiate with them
The designs were developed in collaboration with local workers and workers’ associations. With this campaign, we want to spread the word about the struggles of platform workers and show that a different platform economy is possible.
Click the links to download the designs. They are free to use!
- Global: VicenteRM
- Colombia: OTRO Diseño
- Ghana: Awo Tsegah
- India: Kruthika (@theworkplacedoodler)
- South Africa: LoveLeigh Draws