We are looking to appoint a Researcher Assistant at the Oxford Internet Institute
- Role: Research Assistant
- Institution: Oxford Internet Institute
- Location: 1 St Giles, Oxford OX1 3JS, UK
- Salary: Grade 6 (£29,614- £35,326 per annum)
- Contract: Full-time, fixed-term for 12 months or to 31 August 2023
- Application Deadline: Midday, 19 July 2022
Overview of the role
Reporting to the Principal Investigator, the post holder will act as a Research Assistant for the Fairwork project. Fairwork is an action research project that assesses digital labour platforms against principles of fair work, and uses that research to push for positive change in the gig economy. The project currently operates in twenty-nine countries on five continents, and studies both geographically-tethered gig economy platforms and cloudwork (or ‘remote work’) platforms. The Research Assistant role will involve provision of research support for Fairwork.
- Manage own research and administrative activities, within guidelines provided by senior colleagues
- Contribute to wider project planning, including ideas for new research projects
- Doing primary and secondary research and drawing on our existing work to evaluate platform companies against the Fairwork principles of good work.
- Contribute to the design of research materials and make arrangements for data gathering
- Gather, analyse, and present qualitative data from a variety of sources
- Undertake comprehensive and systematic literature reviews and write up the results for publication in peer-reviewed journals or for presentation at conferences or public meetings
- Contribute to research publications, book chapters and reviews
- Responsible for the day-to-day administration of the research project
- Represent the research group at external meetings/seminar, either with other members of the group or alone
- Contribute to discussions and share research findings with colleagues in partner institutions, and research groups
- Other duties as may be required by the PI
- Hold a first degree, together with some relevant experience
- Possess sufficient specialist knowledge to work effectively with the Fairwork team (such as knowledge about current developments in the platform economy)
- Ability to manage own research and administrative activities
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to write text that can be published, present data at conferences, and represent the research group at meetings
- Experience of following methodologies
- Previous experience of contributing to publications/presentations
- Previous research on decent work and the platform economy (experience in the gig economy could be substituted for this criterion) Desirable
- Experience of working in a research team and contributing ideas for new research projects
- An interest in action research, and a desire to improve working conditions for gig workers
Equality of Opportunity
Entry into employment with the University and progression within employment will be determined only by personal merit and the application of criteria which are related to the duties of each particular post and the relevant salary structure. In all cases, ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration. No applicant or member of staff shall be discriminated against because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
See here for more information, or here to apply.
Application Deadline: Midday, 19 July 2022