Fairwork Summit: Fair Work on Digital Platforms
Wednesday 14th September 2022, 2pm – 4pm CEST
Digital labour platforms are growing around the world and increasingly challenge conventional employment relations. On the one hand, the rise of digital labour platforms promotes economic growth and the creation of new jobs, lowers entry barriers into the labour market, and designs labour more flexible. On the other hand, many platforms slip through existing regulatory frameworks and thereby create adverse effects and unfair working conditions for many platform workers across the globe. Due to a growing global awareness for unfair working conditions in the platform economy, international attention to the regulation of digital labour platforms continues to grow.
Against this backdrop, the Fairwork Project, which is funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development since 2017, is organising a high-level summit on “Fair Work on Digital Platforms” to facilitate an exchange on the working conditions on digital labour platforms operating globally. Further, the event will provide a framework for a joint discussion on the role of platforms as well as necessary reforms in the areas of economic, labour market, social and digital policy. The aim is to provide an overview of different regulatory approaches and measures in countries around the world in order to pave the way for fair working conditions while simultaneously maintaining the positive effects of digital labour platforms.
Agenda and speakers:
Opening statement by Dr Bärbel Kofler, Parliamentary State Secretary, German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
Introduction of the Work and Impacts of the Fairwork Project by Prof. Mark Graham, Professor of Internet Geography and Director of Fairwork, University of Oxford
Panel 01 (2:20 PM CET): Status Quo of the Global Platform Economy – Workers’ Prospect or Peril?
- Dr Janine Berg, Senior Economist, International Labour Organisation
- Ana Dujić, Director General, Denkfabrik Digitale Arbeitsgesellschaft, German Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs
- Laura Garcia, Courier Protections and Benefits Lead, Glovo
- Bill Mutoro, Assistant General Secretary, Transport Workers Union Kenya.
Panel 02 (3:00 PM CET): Policy Options for Global Standards of Fair Work in the Platform Economy: Looking Ahead
- Anna Banczyk, Deputy Head of Unit “Future of Work, Youth Employment”, Directorate-General for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion (DG EMPL), European Commission
- Dr Sakshi Khurana, Employment and Skill Development, NITI Aayog
- Prof Balaji Parthasarathy, Principal Investigator Fairwork India, International Institute of Information Technology Bangalore
- Matthias Weber, Director, Competence Centre “Future of Work”, Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung
Moderator: Dalia Gebrial
Register today by filling out the form on this link.